Frequently Asked Questions

What degree will I obtain with this program?

Bachelor of Arts, Major in Education, Minor in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).

What can I achieve with my diploma?

Millions of people around the world want to learn English. By completing this degree program you can use your most valuable skill (fluency in English) into a valuable asset. The program will train you to become a highly dynamic, effective English teacher, and your USAT degree will give you the qualifications you need to find the English teaching job you are looking for.

Whereas years ago it was often easy to find work as an English teacher with only a TESOL certificate, or based solely on your being a native English speaker, in recent years more and more institutions and schools require have begun requiring a degree. 

USAT offers a world-class learning program of higher education. Most students who graduate through the CIEAN learning centre have plans to work and teach overseas. The USAT Bachelors degree has had good acceptance in most cases, nevertheless, USAT does not guarantee the granting of work visas or other documents in countries where graduates may decide to work. In fact no university can offer such a guarantee.

How many years of teaching experience do I need?

You must provide proof of 4 years of teaching, either full-time or part-time. This should comprise approximately 2,000 hours of teaching experience.

Secular and voluntary teaching activities are all acceptable. If you do not have the full amount of hours at this time, you may still enroll in the Bachelors program and continue teaching while you work on the online learning modules. You may graduate once you have completed the required hours, provided you meet the rest of the criteria.

If I have more than the 2,000 hours or four years of teaching, does this give me extra credits?

No, we can only give a maximum of 40 credits for the teaching aspect of the degree; the other credits must be earned by studies and TESOL course attendance.

What if I have owned my own company or taught only private lessons?

Send pictures of your students (if possible, along with you in a classroom setting) including their names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.

How long does it take to complete the BEd program?

If you already meet all other requirements, we encourage you to try to complete the distance learning modules (video learning modules, synopsis, thesis, analytical research paper) within 12 months. Some finish in less time. The program is designed to capture interest and provide practical teaching, educational, and personal life skills. Graduates who have completed the video learning modules have commented on how interesting, practical and fascinating they found them to be. Many find that once they start, they have a hard time stopping!

How many Credits do I need for this diploma?

40 credits will be applied for your 2,000 hours of teaching; 18 credits will be applied for second language studies; 73 credits will be applied for the Canadian Institute of English TESOL course and the university syllabus. The Bachelor's degree requires a total of 120 credits.

Is it necessary to have a basic education (High School diploma, report card or certificate) in order to enroll?

Yes, although the local equivalency from your country is acceptable, as is correspondence schooling. If you have no high school diploma (or equivalent), contact your tutor discuss the matter further.

Is there any age restriction when applying for the Degree Program?

Normally, nobody under the age of 18 is admitted to the Bachelor's Program, and the minimum graduation age for the Bachelor's degree is 21. Nevertheless, if you can prove you have 2,000 hours of teaching experience and are able to successfully complete the study program before age 21, please contact us to review your situation.

How do I pay for my degree?

You can make secure online payment through our website. You can choose to pay in full upfront and receive a discount, or to pay by monthly installments. Your payment plan must be completed within 12 months.

Do I qualify for any grants?

Some discounts may be available. Please see the Admissions page for details.

How can I graduate with honors?

In order to graduate with honors, you must present high quality work that merits a 3.5 GPA. The university faculty evaluates each case individually.

Where can I have my documents notarized or certified?

You can have your documents notarized by a notary, lawyer, bank, town hall, university, school or institute (with a seal or official stamp). The purpose of the stamp is not to prove the validity of the original copy, but to simply state that the photocopy is a true copy of the original, this is often called a jurat.

When do I mail the notarized copies of my documents?

They should be mailed when you are close to successfully completing your studies and are necessary before graduation. Timely submission of documents is important in order to avoid unnecessary delays in the graduation process.

While I am completing my thesis, can I obtain a support letter as a full time student?

Yes. Please contact your tutor to request this. We will then provide you with a letter that indicates you are enrolled in the USAT degree program and that you are currently completing the syllabus. This is useful when applying for work.

If I fail my degree studies, will I qualify for a reimbursement?

Our philosophy is not to fail but to help you fix your final work whenever possible. If you score under 70%, we may ask you to retake certain modules. If you have successfully completed the TESOL course training, and speak, read and write English fluently, you should have no problem with the distance study program.

Will USAT issue a transcript with the diploma?

Yes. This will not be issued before the degree is completed, but will be automatically issued along with the degree.

Can I expect a refund of tuition fees if I wish to cancel or decide I can no longer pursue my degree?

Students can receive a refund within 30 days from the date of their registration and payment of fees. If a student chooses to cancel after 30 days, and paid their tuiton in full when registering, his/her payment will be pro-rated from the time of registration and the unused portion will be refunded, minus a $300 cancellation fee. Refunds are not available after 12 months from registration, or for students who have graduated, or have received their degree.

Due to unexpected events or circumstances, students are able to put their account on hold without cancelling, and may resume at a later date.

How long will it take to receive my degree after completing the requirements?

You can expect to receive your degree within 60 - 90 days once you have paid in full, sent all your documents and your study work is completed and approved (adjustments may be necessary).

Important note: The time it takes to get your work approved will depend on how closely you have followed the instructions and how much grammar, spelling and other adjustments are necessary.

What should I answer if a future employer asks me how long it took to obtain my degree?

This BEd program is a four-year minimum combination of workshops, teaching experience and distance learning modules. Some graduates have mistakenly commented that they obtained their degree in just one year. This degree program are only available to those who already have 4 years worth of teaching experience.

In addition to the time required for teaching, a year or a year-and-a-half of additional workshops, courses and distance studies are required to complete the program.

What is the difference between USAT and CIEAN?

USAT and CIEAN are two separate organizations. USAT stands for University of Science Arts & Technology which is based in Montserrat. CIEAN stands for Canadian Institute of Education and Applied Neuroscience. USAT and CIEAN are affiliated for the purposes of the BEd program.

One of the core modules of the USAT BEd program is the TESOL course taught by the Canadian Institute of English (CIE), which is one of the sub-divisions of the CIEAN.

The BEd program is taught by and administered by CIEAN. For example, when you send in your documentation you will be asked to send this to the CIEAN office in Canada. Your tutor will also be provided by CIEAN. However, the degree you earn and the accompanying transcripts will be issued by USAT. Both USAT and CIEAN worked together to create the syllabus for the BEd program.

Can you provide me with a support letter or fill in a reference form?

We are always very happy to provide our students and graduates with the support they need before and after graduation. Some graduates need us to provide a support letter to prove that they have graduated, when for example, they have completed their degree program but are waiting for the diploma to arrive in the mail. Others may need us to provide a letter to confirm that they are currently enrolled in the USAT BEd program.

Prospective employers may request that we fill in a character reference for you.

Whatever your needs may be, we will do all that is within our means to help you.

I obtained a degree through CIEAN, but the university that issued the degree was not USAT. Can I transfer my credits and obtain a degree with USAT?

We will do all that is in our power to help you. If you took the BEd/MEd program through CIEAN before the program was affiliated with USAT, and you are now having difficulties using your degree, we can look into the possibility of transferring your credits and issuing you with an honorary USAT degree. Please contact us to explain your situation.

I lost my diploma and/or transcripts. Can you issue a reprint?

Yes. The fee for having your BEd diploma reprinted is $75 (including shipping). If you need a reprint please email us to make your request and provide your full name and date of graduation. Please confirm how you would like your name to appear on the degree (we recommend the name being exactly the same as on your ID). We will then send you a payment request which will allow you to make payment by secure credit card transaction. Once we have received the fee we will begin the process of issuing a reprint. Please allow up to 3 months for receiving your new diploma.

We can also provide you with a reprint of your transcripts. The fee for this is $25 for the first one, $40 for 2, $55 for 3, $70 for 4. Each sealed transcript after 4 is an extra $10. This includes mailing by registered letter. If you would prefer that we use a courier please let us know and we can arrange this for you, but you will have to cover the mailing costs yourself.

I have a USAT degree and need a foreign degree evaluation. Can you provide this for me?

Please Contact USAT directly with your request and we they send you more information on how to obtain this.

Need Help?
In Association with CIEAN